Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Thanksgiving School Activities

We've had a busy November with school, my father's unexpected surgery (I'm glad to say that he is recovering well), T-day with family, visiting with out of town family, and starting our Christmas traditions.

Some of my mommy friends and I are doing a once a month homeschool activity. A couple of moms take turns planning a themed morning filled with lessons and activities for our oldest kids. My friend Dienny and I hosted November's homeschool day themed around Thanksgiving. We read T-Day poems and stories, made leaf rubbings, classified our leaves, and made an edible turkey craft out of Oreos and various candies. Here are some pics to document our day!

IMG_0373

IMG_0374

IMG_0375

IMG_0377

IMG_0381

IMG_0384
We were supposed to use candy corn, but I couldn't find any, so I substituted Mike and Ike's instead. I found the idea on Kaboodle.

IMG_0387

IMG_0388

IMG_0389

IMG_0390



I hope to be blogging more about what I'm doing with N in school, but it's hard to find the time to do that. We'll see what I get around to. There are already several pics I have not posted from September. Oh well!

IMG_0372
A picture of a banner I had made her for her first day of school!

And here are some of the T-Day crafts that we did for homeschool with my kiddos:

Last year, we wrote what we were thankful for on colored slips of paper and put it in our "I'm thankful for...jar". This year I saw something online to make a thankful turkey. So this is how it turned out. N drew all of her own pictures, and then I helped her break down the sounds, but she came up with the letters. Since we're not working on spelling yet, you might see some strange (but phonetic!) spellings.

IMG_0393

We were most thankful for the cross and my dad recovering from his surgery. And notice, our family is thankful for Nutella! Our new T-Day tradition may be Nutella filled croissants for breakfast, while watching the Macy's T-Day parade (which the kids REALLY enjoyed!). Notice the orange feather at the bottom left. Those are the three crosses on Calvary. We've talked about two other people being crucified with Jesus, so that is what she depicted. When I asked her who the people were and why they were so sad, she said that it was Jesus' mom and dad.

IMG_0395
T-Max's hands made into turkeys. I had to help him a lot! But he did glue the beaks and the wattle himself.

IMG_0396
N's hands made into turkeys.

IMG_0397
A pinecone turkey - N did a great job!

Just a few more pics on my flickr.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE the update! thanks, uns! been wondering how homeschool has been going. thanks for sharing! looking forward to more. =)

    ReplyDelete